Friday 13 November 2015

#17 - Eat from 40 different places I haven't eaten at before - 4/40

4.  The place - Antelope Inn, Bangor.  The dish - Beef Burger and Chips  Eat in - 13th November, 2015.


Ok, so not strictly a 'new' place, this is where we tend to eat with my parents, my Dad seems to like it here.  It's always been very safe, but very generic and not very exciting pub food.  Although I didn't get to have a meal in Manchester, today I went with my parents and brother (Mr G was feeling poorly after his big day yesterday) as it was also my father's birthday yesterday.  The reason it's being included in my list even though it's not new for me, is that it has unveiled a brand new menu.

I decided on burger, and I realise that out of the four meals I have posted about so far, two have been cod and two have been burger... I am so boring.  It was on a par with Blue Sky Cafe's burger, it was so good.  Tasted like a homemade burger.  Served on a brioche bun with salad, mayo and seasoned chips, the meal - which included a soft drink - weighed in at £5.69.  Bargain.  Cheese (bleurgh) was an extra 50p.
The only criticism that I had, not for me personally, is that the chips were highly seasoned.  Really salty.  I loved them, but... one of my friends doesn't take salt as she has high blood pressure.  My children have very little salt.  I think seasoning the chips should be done at the table to your own preference, and not in the kitchen?  Just IMHO.  Also nice to see The Antelope giving their customers more than 5 chips with their main meal, which is how it had gone with their ridiculous 'chips in a tea cup'.  Very nice indeed, and if the rest of the menu has improved as much as the burger has, then it could once again become a regular eating place for us.  10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment